Monday, October 13, 2014

Shopping In The Rain

I'm singing shopping in the rain, just shopping in the rain...

Well I had big plans for the weekend, back when the weatherman was saying there was a 20% chance of showers. Ha!  N. and I took off from school Friday for a couple of days away.  The plan was for me to do some shopping, him to go to the car show, us to visit Ocean City, him to get in some of those 10 required night driving hours, and both of us to go to the Outdoor Expo being held in Crisfield.  In the end that's not quite how it went, but we still had a good time.

Friday was spent thrift shopping our way to Ocean City, MD.  If you haven't gone to the Halo Ministries Thrift store in Salisbury, you should try it.  They often have good stuff, and their prices are reasonable.  Some of the things I got there this trip were a like new Nine West purse for $2 and a giant heavy (it weighs like 10 pounds) glass mixing bowl for $4.  Then I scored a large wall mirror for $15 at one of my favorite little antique shops - Rt 346 Emporium (sounds like a grand place, but in truth it's more like a shack - but that's OK) in Parsonsburg.    N. doesn't really enjoy my love of thrift stores (to put it mildly) but he is willing to help lift up stuff so I can search for buried treasures, and tote heavy objects up to the counter and then out to the car, so what more can I ask. Plus I think he's figured out if he helps me look for things I came in there after, or that he's seen me cart home in the past, the quicker he'll be able to get back on the road.  Noah drove all morning until we got close to downtown Ocean City, then traffic got so crazy I made him switch out with me.

After a bit of a parking spot search (shout out to the nice man that pulled out and gave us his spot - with money still left on the meter - when he saw us looking) we hit up the Ocean City boardwalk.  N. and I had a great pit beef and boardwalk fries lunch at Bull On The Beach (one of N's favorites) followed by a Kohr Brother's frozen custard.  We walked down to the inlet parking lot (which was closed off) for the Endless Summer Cruisin Car Show.  N. has a big interest in classic muscle cars, so this is something he really enjoys.  The sky had been fairly gray all day so we didn't think much of it (remember the weatherman said 20% chance of rain) but soon after getting there the sky opened up and it poured rain.  Many of the car owners packed it up and headed for cover.  Here are some pictures from the show, including one really interesting one of how the owners of one convertible improvised for the ride back to their hotel.



Chevy's 9/11 Tribute Truck.  The paint job on this was AMAZING!

The new Corvette.  Yes, please...

That's a nice Chevelle.  Down at the end of the row their was an orange one that was even better though.  Don't know why but I love an orange muscle car.  One of those new Dodge Challenger Hellcat editions in orange would be perfect!  I just need to find a second and third job...

The lot had been packed with row on row of classic cars.  Endless Summer Cruisin is a big annual event.  There were cars there with plates from all over the East coast.  Too bad the weather turned sour.  At this point some cars were already pulling out.  We kept on walking thinking our luck would hold out.  It didn't...


You are at the beach in your expensive convertible and it starts to rain.  What do you do?  Beach umbrella to the rescue!  Although I am not sure how well that worked riding down Coastal Highway.

Noah and his dream car.  At this point he is pointing and begging and reminding me that his 17th birthday AND Christmas are right around the corner.  And since I also like classic cars I can say that if I had a spare, oh, $19,000, I'd be really tempted.


We headed back to Salisbury for dinner and some more shopping (Hobby Lobby, Ross, & Michael's here I come!) but not before shopping for two of our favorite Ocean City treats - Fisher's Caramel Popcorn and Dolle's Salt Water Taffy! YUM!


Well, I think I am going to have to leave you at this point until tomorrow.  It was a long day back at school after a vacation and my housework (and homework) are calling.  Plus I think it's time for some caramel corn.  Thanks for reading my blog today, be sure to check back later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share an idea or comment. They won't post until moderated, but I read every one. Please share your blog address in your quote if you have one and I'll be sure to check it out. Please don't send spam or use bad language. Thanks!