Thursday, October 16, 2014

Hiking At Great Falls - The Maryland Side

It's time to share with you another of my favorite places.  The last time I shared a hike and a waterfall it was Scott's Run in Northern Virginia.  This time it's Great Falls (the Maryland side).

A few years ago I was on the facebook page of my friend Terri who lives now on the western shore of Maryland, not too far from DC.  She posted these amazing waterfall pictures.  I asked her where she took them, and she said at Great Falls.  I was thinking this was some far away place, so imagine my surprise when she said it was right outside Washington, DC.  Great Falls is also know as the Falls of the Potomac, and is part of the Potomac River system.  Great Falls has a large park, which is split into two "sides" - the Virginia side of the falls and the Maryland side of the falls.  The Maryland side has several off shoot trails for hiking, and that is what I will be sharing with you today, hiking the trails at Great Falls.

Great Falls has a very famous hiking trail called the Billy Goat trail, but several sections of it require rock climbing (the "A" section).  Since I am not particularly feeling much like a mountain goat, I do my own modified version taking a few side trails off the path that leads on past the main falls viewing area.  The footing can still be a little tricky in some places, so I always take along my trusty sidekick N.  He is getting ready to turn 17, and I don't know what I am going to do without him in a few years when he is out on his own.  He's always been such a great travel buddy, and we've enjoyed many good trips together.  Well let's not travel down the road to depression, and stick to Great Falls instead.

The Maryland side of Great Falls is located just outside of Potomac, Maryland.  The trails we used can best be accessed by going to the C&O Canal Park / Great Falls Tavern Visitor's Center located at 11710 MacArthur Blvd, Potomac, MD.  I will share with you some photos from the main section of the park another time.  It really is a beautiful place to visit!

So off to the trails....These pictures are from a visit made in April on our school Spring Break.  We have also visited in the fall and the scenery was gorgeous!  













Isn't that a pretty place?  I hope I can go back soon.  If you are ever in the DC area you are really missing out if you don't visit Great Falls.  And be sure and take your camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share an idea or comment. They won't post until moderated, but I read every one. Please share your blog address in your quote if you have one and I'll be sure to check it out. Please don't send spam or use bad language. Thanks!