Friday, August 15, 2014

Wire Wrapped Sea Glass Scarf Charms

New Sea Glass Project for Me


For project post #2, here is something I have been working on, wire wrapped sea glass scarf charms.  I have several sea glass jewelry items that I like to make but this week I wanted to try these.  I got the idea from an ebay auction when I was searching for an ombre crinkle scarf like one I had seen a friend have.  Their charm dangles were plain metal but it made me wonder if I couldn't do something similar with my sea glass.

Did you know that I LOVE ebay?  Did you know that ebay has almost anything you could ever want? Seriously sometimes I will get an idea, like say a toy from my childhood or some other odd thing, and look on ebay thinking they won't possibly have it, and they always do!   I both buy and sell on ebay.  All of my cameras and camera equipment have come from there, and it is where I order most of my craft supplies now because I can buy them over the internet and get them shipped directly to me.   Enough about ebay for now - let's get to the project.

The supplies I use for making sea glass charms are:
20 gauge craft wire (mainly I use non tarnish wire from "beadaholic") in silver, antique bronze and copper
18 gauge jump rings in matching wire colors
jewelry making wire snips and needle nosed pliers (mine came in a nice little kit from Walmart)
sea glass pieces  (from ebay and etsy)

Let me say that yes, Tangier does have sea glass, but not enough to make the quantity of items I make in the summer, so I supplement.  Usually with glass from Florida.  You can also buy sea glass on - you guessed it - ebay.  Ha Ha!


Here is a finished wrapped charm and some tools of the trade

How to wire wrap a charm is something I think you have to learn from trial and error.  It took me many tries to get the hang of it.  And since every piece of sea glass is different you never wrap one the same way twice. Here are some webpages you might want to check out if you want to know more about wire wrapping:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Wire-Wrapped-Pendants-the-Easy-Way/

http://www.seaglassjournal.com/crafts/simplependant/simplependant.htm


Here are some more charms in progress.  Today I am using silver colored wire.  Also in this picture (besides my messy desktop) are the scarf bails the charms will attach to and slide onto a scarf.   



Once you have finished wrapping your glass pieces, they simply attach to the eye on the scarf bail with a jump ring.  Here is a finished scarf charm.



And now a complete charm set and scarf together.  I am making these to sell in the gift shop of the Tangier History Museum.  If you are ever able to visit Tangier please make time to stop at the museum!  There are great exhibits, films to watch, and so much to learn about our island and way of life.  On your way out be sure to check out the gift shop area, and support local Tangier crafters!






And Now A Short Side Post For Your Entertainment


If you continue to read my blog (and I hope you will) you will find out about my obsession with paint and spray paint.  The joke has been made MANY times that I will paint anything that stands still.  I used to be offended by that.  But here is a picture of something I did yesterday that has made me admit that YES, it is true...


Yes, that is my cat box.  Now with a nice "oil rubbed bronze" finish.  You have to admit it does look better - and will blend into its surroundings nicer - than the previous factory burgundy and gray color scheme.  Wish I had painted the interior too now that I see it, but I didn't think my cats would care.






My son N. will be unhappy that I posted this because he was pretty embarrased by it yesteray, even though even he had to admit it looked better when it was done and put back in it's place.

Well, that is it for today.  I am off to the post office and grocery store now, and out to the airport for the Tangier Homecoming celebration tonight.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share an idea or comment. They won't post until moderated, but I read every one. Please share your blog address in your quote if you have one and I'll be sure to check it out. Please don't send spam or use bad language. Thanks!