Friday, August 29, 2014

Reality TV Comes To Tangier Island


And Now For A Dose Of Reality...

A while ago we heard a rumor ( a couple of different ones in fact ) about some reality TV shows that were interested in coming to Tangier to film.  One was to be a new show about watermen by the people who produce Deadliest Catch, one was Dirty Jobs, and the other was the show Diggers.
If you have never seen Diggers here is a screen shot of the blurb provided by National Geographic on their home page. They hunt for historical artifacts, mainly by digging with the help of metal detectors, and give little history lessons about the areas where they are digging and the things they find.

Now, here is an admission from me.  N. and I like to watch the show because they have very "unique" terms for the things they find like "nectar in the poc" when they pick up something good and put it in their pocket.  They also tend to make up outrageous stories about the items they dig up. For example, if they were digging out west and found a horse shoe, that would say something like I bet it came off of Custer's horse when he was trying to escape from the Indians at Little Big Horn, etc.  In short, we make fun of it. And Noah does impressions of the men and their sayings, and it makes me laugh.
Well, yesterday they actually came.  Poor N. was off the island practicing driving and finishing up some things before school starts on Tuesday.  His friend messaged N. with a picture of himself with the Diggers guys.  N. was most upset. When he got home he set out on a search of the island for the Diggers in case they had not already left on the afternoon boat ( But not before I told him, "Please, don't tell them how bad we make fun of them!". ) And....he found them.   Happy son = happy mom.



I was not as excited as N. to see the Diggers guys (though I was happy to hear how nice they were and that they were not nearly as silly acting as they are on TV).  Just not feeling it.  There are, however, a couple of people I would love to see come to Tangier - and that I would hunt down until I found them.  

#1  Jo Jo  (Joanna Gaines) from "Fixer Upper" on HGTV and the MagnoliaMom blog:


Oh man, not only would I hunt down poor Jo Jo, I may never let her leave.  At least not until she has decorated every possible inch of my house and redone the outside and the yard.  She can bring cute little Chip, too if she wants. If you have never seen their show Fixer Upper, you don't know what you are missing.  I love everything she remodels and decorates. She is amazing!  Check out her pages at  http://magnoliahomes.net/blog/.


Now let's see ... what's in this photo that we know Hope likes?
antique buffet - check    
repurposed metal used as wall hanging - check    
lamps with birds on the shades- check,
huge clock - check

um, YES,  please...

#2 Nicole Curtis of Rehab Addict on HGTV:



Poor Nicole, she's been recently been bumped down a space on my Favorite People on Earth list.  LOL.  I really like Nicole's style too, and she is very much into saving and fixing old things and repurposing as she remodels.  I have seen her make several old dressers into bathroom sink vanities, which is a project I have always wanted to try.  I love how excited she gets "dumpster diving" and in thrift stores and watching what she can do with the things she finds there.  She has impressive knowledge and usage of power tools, and never met a piece of furniture she couldn't refinish.  Yeah, still love you Nicole.

One of Nicole's old house kitchens.  And you know how I love white kitchens!


Who else would I like to see?  Well, I secretly would really like to be on The Amazing Race (except for those gross eating and bungee jumping challenges).  That's my all time favorite reality show.  So, I'd like to see Phil, but I'd want him to take me with him - especially to Germany (where I have always wanted to go) or somewhere exotic like Bali or Fiji.

  
And speaking of things I've always wanted to do, let's go back to the idea of turning an old dresser into a sink vanity. I have been in love with this idea for a while, but for R. it's a no go.  Look at these great examples I found on Google Image search.  Don't you love them?  Or maybe it's just me.






I don't even like yellow and I love this!


                   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share an idea or comment. They won't post until moderated, but I read every one. Please share your blog address in your quote if you have one and I'll be sure to check it out. Please don't send spam or use bad language. Thanks!