Saturday, August 23, 2014

Thrift Store Finds / Old Recipes


Have You Heard The Term Up-Cycling?


Somewhere, sometime, in the fixer-upper DIY blog world someone came up with the term "up-cycle".  It's a play on the word recycle.  To upcycle is to take some thing old and trashy and repurpose it into something new and fabulous.  I think "upcycled" is the new "shabby chic".  LOL


Upcycling - If Only This Kind Of Cycling Could Help You Lose Weight


On Thursday while I was off the island for our school system's opening convocation on the mainland, I was lucky enough to grab a few minutes to go in the Hospice Thrift Store in Onancock.  I was looking for some items I might be able to use in future projects.  And hey come to think of it, I skipped lunch to go there - so maybe there is a way upcycling can help you lose weight!  Here is what I came home with for about $18 (which goes to a great cause!)






So, What Am I Going To Do With Them?


Umm, I haven't got a clue.  Yet.  


I am pretty sure that metal pitcher is going to get some copper accents and go in my breakfast room, as well as the little scroll double candle holder.  Those trays I am still trying to decide on, but when I saw a bunch of them laying there for about $2 each, I picked them up on a whim.  My original thoughts were to spray paint them and use them for things like candle pans, and jewelry trays.  We shall see.  



I love going in thrift stores and looking at things.  This summer I was able to go in the Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters CHKD Thrift Shop in Chesapeake, just outside Virginia Beach.  I got some amazing picture frames, wall art, and a sweet little Tommy Hilfiger purse.  I am afraid if I lived in a larger area I would be penniless from thrift stores and yard sales (oh, and Hobby Lobby).


Now how could I resist a purse with a little anchor???



And Now Some More Great Tangier Recipes To Share


Need an idea for something delicious this weekend?  Here are some more recipes from the "old" church cookbook "Food For My Household".  Starting with Joy's macaroni salad.  Joy taught school with me at Tangier Combined for only a few years before she passed away from cancer.  This was her "famous" recipe:







and some more of my favorites, starting with one from our school cafeteria manager Jody.

  
PS:  Jody, please make this more often...









Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share an idea or comment. They won't post until moderated, but I read every one. Please share your blog address in your quote if you have one and I'll be sure to check it out. Please don't send spam or use bad language. Thanks!