Tuesday, August 19, 2014

A Tour Of Tangier Island ( With Recipes ! )


A Little More Information About Life On Tangier


A few years back I took an online course for teachers on making and using slideshows in the classroom. For our final project I made a show using pictures I had taken of Tangier. If you'd like to learn a little more about Tangier,  please take a few minutes to watch this.






-----------------------------------------------------------------------------




Tomorrow I will start back to school for the beginning of my 25th year of teaching.  I have taught all my years at Tangier Combined School, the island school.  Our school belongs to the Accomack County Schools system of Virginia.  We are the only combined school in Virginia that offers grades K-12 in the same building.  




A look across the marsh at our school
Our school population is dropping from when I first moved to Tangier.  Many young families now move away from the island.  It is becoming increasingly hard to make a living here, due to economic factors and the many strict regulations that have been put on the commercial fishing and crabbing industries.  When I began teaching the average class size was about 10 - 12.  Now average class size is about 4 - 5.  This year I will be teaching 8th grade, all subjects.  Our 8th grade is part of middle school and does not change classes except for a computer language course and a career introduction course that are taught by one of my fellow teachers.  I am responsible for the SOL (Virginia Standards of Learning) subjects English, Writing, Pre-Algebra, Physical Science, and Civics & Economics.  This year I will have 3 students.  Yes, you read that right.  There are just three girls in the 8th grade.  Next year, if I teach 8th grade again, there will be only 1 student - a boy.  Several teachers in our school have combined classes where two grades are taught in the same classroom.  I expect this to continue.



A new student?





A Taste Of Tangier


If you saw my Tangier Homecoming post, you saw my picture of a fried soft crab sandwich (so Yummy!) and I thought some readers might be interested in some Tangier style recipes.  So here are a few to start us off.  I am going to try to cheat and take pictures of the recipes so I don't have to do all that typing.  


This first lot of recipes will be crab recipes from the "Food For My Household" cookbook, put together by the Methodist Ladies of Swain Memorial Church (seen above by the school) in 1986.  There's a lot of good food in this book, and my copy is well worn.





Now lets cook some crab!













There's still more to come, but I'll save them for another time.  A friend with a blog has themes where she does certain things on certain days of the week.  Maybe I'll make Tuesdays recipe days. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share an idea or comment. They won't post until moderated, but I read every one. Please share your blog address in your quote if you have one and I'll be sure to check it out. Please don't send spam or use bad language. Thanks!