Tuesday, August 12, 2014

So....I Think I'll Start A Blog


Sittin On My Dock Of The Bay


Here is a picture to get us started.  It will be the first of MANY.  There is a lot I want to share with you and I love taking pictures! I am a wife, mother, and middle school teacher. I think I happen to live in a pretty interesting place, Tangier Island, on Virginia's Eastern Shore.  This is a picture of my backyard and my little dock of the bay.  Besides photography, I like up-cycling furniture and craft projects, home makeovers, jewelry making and more.  I am always searching the internet for, or working on, some project or another. After seeing my posts on facebook, a friend of mine said, "I don't know why you don't have a blog".  So, here we are....


A Little About Me and Tangier Island


Hi, I'm Hope and I was born and raised in Marion, MD, which in on Maryland's eastern shore.  I have lived my whole life (all 48 - gasp! - years of it) around the Chesapeake Bay.  After college I accepted a job on Tangier Island, Virginia.  From Marion, Tangier is only about 20 miles "as the crow flies" but a whole world away.  You see Tangier is in the Chesapeake Bay and I mean that literally.  Tangier is a small island only reachable by boat or plane about 14 miles out from the nearest port of Crisfield, Maryland (right down the road from Marion).  I had only been here a few times before I moved, although I knew some people from Tangier and had gone to school with students from neighboring Smith Island, MD.  Unlike Smith Island, Tangier has it's own K-12 school program, so students never attend school on the mainland.  (I would like to tell you more about Tangier and Tangier Combined School in future posts.)  Soon after moving and beginning my teaching career, I met and married my husband (R.), and in 1997 along came my son (N.)....

 (No, this in not my                                                                                                                                 son in 1997 - though he did 
                                                                                                 weight 10 pounds.  lol)

People have told me not to use real names on a blog, so for now I have put their initial.  But I know I am going to forget to keep doing that.  

To help you get some idea of where exactly I live, here is Tangier on a map.  On the right side is the eastern shore of Maryland at the top and the eastern shore of Virginia at the bottom.  Along with Delaware, these make up the Delmarva peninsula.  In the center of the map is Chesapeake Bay.  I have lived all my life in this area.


This is a picture showing an overhead view of the island from Google Image Search and airphotona.com.






And here is a picture I took of the main section of Tangier from the air.  Most residents live on three raised areas call "ridges".  At the bottom is West Ridge, in the middle in Main Ridge, and on the top of the picture is Canton.




I live in the Canton section at the top.  The three sections of Tangier are connected to each other by bridges. Bicycles, golf carts, and skiffs are our main modes of transportation.

Have I Got You Interested Yet?


I hope so, then you'll want to check back to see more of my blog. My plan is to use this blog to share some of the projects I have completed or am working on, some other crafters and bloggers I follow, and inspiration pages of things I'd like to try.  But I wanted to give you a little background information first. Please bear with me, I'm new to blogging! As I close out today, here's a final shot from my dock of the bay....



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share an idea or comment. They won't post until moderated, but I read every one. Please share your blog address in your quote if you have one and I'll be sure to check it out. Please don't send spam or use bad language. Thanks!