Saturday, August 16, 2014

Sea Glass Lantern Project / Tangier Island Homecoming

Simple Sea Glass Lantern


Here is an easy project to do with sea glass that looks great in a nautical or beach themed room, or maybe just a room with blue or green accents.  





There are many different colors of sea glass available for purchase.  I have seen all pink, for example, and that would make for a cute accent in a little girl's room.  I have seen all white used as reception table decorations at weddings.  This lantern is mine, and I use it in my utility room which is painted a creamy bone white with a lot of blue accents.  We mainly use our back door there to come and go and this gives off a nice little glow at night from its shelf by the door.


The materials I used for the lantern were simply a patterned glass "biscuit jar" I found at a thrift store, some left over sea glass that wasn't quite right for my jewelry making, and a timer pillar candle which once turned on will turn itself on again at the same time every day and "glow" for 6 hours.  These flameless battery candles are getting pretty common to find now.  Besides Michael's and Hobby Lobby, I have also seen these at Walmart and even Walgreen's.


This lantern is pretty plain, but I have made a few of these, and you can really let your imagination go and decorate it just the way you like.  You could use a mason jar, a glass vase, a hurricane lamp, or any item that will hold a candle as your base, and you don't need to fill it with just plain sea glass.  I have also mixed my glass with shells and small pieces of driftwood, and in another lantern I mixed in iridescent beads.   You could wrap your candle in decorative  "beach netting" like you find in craft stores or at Oriental Trading, in burlap ribbon, or use raffia and tie on some nautical charms.






Here is the one trick that I learned the hard way.  Do your arranging at the time when you want your candle to come on each night.  Turn your candle on, put it in the vase or jar and let your creativity flow.  I forgot to turn my candle on, then the next night when I had to lift it up to do so, my "beautiful" arrangement all collapsed inward.  It was one of those moments when you are like "Duh!".  Not that you'd make that mistake, but I'll just put that tip out there anyway.





Tangier Island's Homecoming





Homecoming is a tradition on Tangier Island.  This festival is held every summer and features rides for kids, lots of good food, local entertainment, fellowship, and more!  This year's Homecoming is being held from August 14-16th.  Also being celebrated this year is the 50th anniversary of the Tangier Volunteer Fire Department.





The images above are from the commemorative t-shirts being sold.  The back design was done by a local artist Amanda Parks.  I happen to have a special interest in the TVFD...





That's last year's new recruit N. at the Christmas parade.  Please excuse the blinding light being bounced back from proud mom's flash.





And here's a shot someone sent to me of him in action, he's firefighter #3.




Homecoming is held at our airport, which is on the western side of our island along the water. It's a great time for families and former Tangier residents to come home and get together.







Taken from behind the Homecoming stage, last night's sunset was beautiful!






There is lots of great food and treats to be had at Homecoming, but here is one I had been particularly looking forward to...a fried soft crab sandwich and a "sweaty" Pepsi!





And to end the evening a funnel cake "to go" to have for my midnight snack.  It's 10:00pm and that funnel cake is still warm and gooey.  Something tells me it's not going to make it to midnight!





If you have time, check out this video about Tangier's Homecoming made by film maker Jenny Roberts.  She has made a wonderful documentary film about Tangier called "Pieces of Tangier".  And if you have enjoyed reading my blog, please leave me a comment and share my page with your friends.

Homecoming Video Clip by Jenny Roberts at Vimeo






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share an idea or comment. They won't post until moderated, but I read every one. Please share your blog address in your quote if you have one and I'll be sure to check it out. Please don't send spam or use bad language. Thanks!