Monday, September 1, 2014

Labor Day on Tangier Island


Happy Labor Day Everyone!

Do you know the history of Labor Day?  Here is what Wikipedia has to say:


Labor Day - Celebrating The American Worker


"Labor Day in the United States is a holiday celebrated on the first Monday in September. It is a celebration of the American labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of their country.
The form for the celebration of Labor Day was outlined in the first proposal for the holiday: A street parade to exhibit to the public "the strength and esprit de corps of the trade and labor organizations",[2] followed by a festival for the workers and their families. This became the pattern for Labor Day celebrations. 
The holiday often marks the end of summer and return to school, although school starting times now vary."

Oh that last sentence.  For most people Labor Day is a day off from work; a day to take a vacation, celebrate with a BBQ, or have a shopping spree.  Ask a teacher though, and you might get a very different answer.  Labor Day is usually a busy day for me, trying to get everything prepared (and every last little possible scenario planned for) for opening day tomorrow. Accomack County Schools still open on the traditional Tuesday after Labor Day schedule.  Tomorrow will be the day 1 of my 25th year!

My usual Labor Day look


I am headed out to school this morning to put in a little time while the building is closed and quiet.  Then I am going to bring my nephews over to see the school.  Two of my three nephews are here this weekend, and we are having a great visit.  I know I just posted some beach pictures the other day but here are a few more from last night on the beach with the boys.


Beach Selfie - the "I'm Windblown And My Arms Are Too Short So My Face Is Too Close" edition

 BEACH BOYS









No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share an idea or comment. They won't post until moderated, but I read every one. Please share your blog address in your quote if you have one and I'll be sure to check it out. Please don't send spam or use bad language. Thanks!