Saturday, September 13, 2014

Tired Old Art Work? Try Spray Painting It!


Once again, let me state for the record, I LOVE spray paint. Just LOVE it.  Have a big collection of it just sitting in my closet waiting for the right occasion.  Except for that can my friend Wanda borrowed (this is a test to be sure Wanda is reading my blog LOL).  I actually get excited when they come out with new ones.  Just recently I tried chalkboard spray paint (it's a hit!) and am itching to try "looking glass" and those new ones that make things look like old mercury glass, which will be great for Christmas ornaments.

I have spray painted picture frames before.  This is a very easy way to change up your decor when your artwork becomes tired, or you change room colors or fixtures.  This was very helpful to me during my "paint it black" phase when everything in my house was black - black frames, black iron wall hangings, black and oil rubbed bronze fixtures, black furniture, you get the picture.  I have only done just regular old picture frames, but after getting inspired by posts I've seen on blogs and Pinterest, I am now on the lookout when I go to thrift stores for old painting and prints with vintage frames I can paint.  Apparently I am late to this little trick, because I hardly ever see any.  Hopefully someday I'll be able to score a few I can fix up like these:


from My Little Gems

via Pinterest


and I really like this idea for a frame within a frame wall grouping.  Those frames are great!


Found on Google image search

Now here is another new trick I happened upon that you might not know.  Did you know you can also spray paint picture mats?  If the mat is made of fairly heavy card stock it will paint up very nicely in most cases. Thin paper mats, like in inexpensive dollar store frames will not be good for this, however. 

This week I had a large framed picture in my breakfast room that I still liked, but with a heavy black frame and a burgundy mat did not go with the new copper accents I added to my kitchen as well as I would have liked.  First I tried spray painting the frame aged copper with my trusty Rust-oleum.




That helped - but it was still "darker" on my wall than I wanted. So I decided to pull it apart and paint the mat.  Here is where it helps to be a little brave.  I had to remove the backing paper and take off the back of the print, then pull out the artwork.  You have to make a deal with yourself that if you ruin it, it will be OK.  Have I ruined stuff?  Yep, and that's OK.  

I picked a spray paint that was very close to the wall color I have at the bottom of my two toned walls.  This was a mocha tan color.  I then spray painted the mat in two parts.  First I did the inner mat with the same aged copper metallic color as the frame.  When that was dry I taped it off and spray painted the outer mat with the tan.  Light coats of paint work best. On a dark mat it might take a couple layers.

Just now I have put it all back together and back up on the wall.  I think it goes much better now.  Is it a professional job?  No, I really sort of did it on a whim, and I probably could have put in more time and done a better job.  But, I am happy with my picture again - and won't have to buy a new one for a little while.  I like when I can repurpose things, although a trip to Home Goods or Hobby Lobby never hurt anybody.  LOL

I am looking for an old pic so I can show you before and after.....and I can't find a before.  Darn, I thought for sure I had one from pics I took when we fixed up the breakfast room. Well anyway, imagine this with a black frame and burgundy mat as the before.  And don't mind the washed out places from the flash, I had trouble getting a good pic.




Here is a link to a really great thrift store picture redo tutorial from a blog I like to follow: LiveLoveDIY.  Take a look if you get a chance.

http://www.livelovediy.com/2013/01/wall-art-make-chic-art-for-cheap.html

I have a dentist appointment off the island on Monday.  I am hoping for a fast and easy checkup, with some time left for thrift store hunting and Lowe's.  I think I hear those new spray paint varieties calling my name.

Update:  Oh man, this post was filled with typos and mistakes.  So sorry!  I typed this one in a hurry today.  We had an arts & crafts show down at the school, and I wanted to go, but had lost track of the time.  Now that I have sat down to reread it I am embarrassed!  And yes, I is a teacher.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share an idea or comment. They won't post until moderated, but I read every one. Please share your blog address in your quote if you have one and I'll be sure to check it out. Please don't send spam or use bad language. Thanks!