Thursday, September 4, 2014

Thrift Store Silver Trays - Part 2


Well as you may have read, last nights attempt at a little "I'll just relax after school with a project" project turned into a bug-biting, temper tantrum throwing disaster.  Think trying to spray paint while suddenly attacked by giant blood sucking insects similar to Hitchcock's "The Birds".  I mean I am used to swarms of insects living by a marsh, but last night was something else!

One little tray was beyond help - but the other I thought might be OK after a little de-bugging.  Here is a repeat of last night's last picture.




Even without the bug damage I didn't like the tray plain as much as I thought I would so I decided to try out my new Rust-oleum Chalkboard spray paint and make the center part a chalkboard like I had seen on other blogs and Pinterest.  I want to our shed this time (hey I can learn a lesson or two) and sprayed on the first coat.  It went pretty well so I came back in for another tray and decided to have a go at it too.  Here are the results after some dry time and some distressing with my sanding block.  






Not bad, but I still wasn't happy with the little copper one, so out came my trusty Home Depot black satin paint sample for some antiquing.  I couldn't seem to get a good picture with the flash after antiquing but trust me, it's better this way.  It will look great with a monogram or fall message and some decorations around it. Really liking the black one too!  That may end up on my bedroom dresser.  Have a couple more for later and a couple different ideas.  But for now I am happy especially after last night's project FAIL.  Here are the final results for now.  Bring on the chalk.





It has been so unbelievably hot on Tangier the past few days.  The weather here has really been pretty mild all summer but it is making up for it this week!  They have been predicting bad storms because of the heat and humidity, but we really haven't got any.  The sky however last night looked pretty wild!  The colors were amazing, and I couldn't capture them with my camera.  Here is a shot taken from my front door (couldn't go out because of those pesty swarming insects.  Hmmm, maybe the two are related.




Thanks for checking in, I'll be back for some more posts this weekend.  Have a plan for a quick trip off.  Hopefully that also means more thrift shop shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share an idea or comment. They won't post until moderated, but I read every one. Please share your blog address in your quote if you have one and I'll be sure to check it out. Please don't send spam or use bad language. Thanks!