Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Thrift Store Silver Tray Fix-Up....xx FAIL xx

How Not To Spray Paint A Thrift Store Tray

Well, things were a little calmer Day 2 of school, so after helping N. with some homework (and avoiding mine) I decided to mask off and spray paint a couple of those cute thrift store trays I found.  Big Fail.  So, learn from my mistakes.  

1.  Don't paint on an evening when it is 90 degrees in the shade ( I thought "it will dry quick!" ) and there are 10 million biting flies, mosquitoes, and gnats (if you live in the south you know what I mean) swarming.  You might think they are just on your arms and legs but when you look closely at what you painted, you will see they are also embedded in your paint job, and they do NOT make cute decorations.

2.  Do not wear your school shoes while you spray paint on kind of day mentioned above.  I was smart enough to change my pants, but being in a hurry jammed my feet in my good sandals I wear to school.  All was well til a biting fly the size of a vampire bat hummingbird took a chunk bite out of my leg making me jump and get spray paint all over my shoes.

Ah well, lesson learned.  I should have just taken a nap...

Don't you hate it when you have something all planned out in your head and it just doesn't go the way you thought it would?  


Scene from my backyard tonight...just kidding it wasn't quite that bad

To end on a happy note, I'll leave you with these two pics of other people's trays that DID turn out.

via Pinterest

from Priscillas2000@blogspot



UPDATE:  2 hours later (and most of it spent dabbing bug bites with alcohol)

Maybe all is not lost!  Was able to pick off several bug carcasses and I think the rest might be covered if I am able to do the chalkboard paint layer in the center.  The copper paint went on kind of too thick though so I'm not sure if painters tape will pull it off when I try to mask it off.  We'll have to wait and see.  The other tray sadly went to the trash, maybe it will end up and trash and treasure for someone else.

TRAGIC FAIL ...

but maybe not!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share an idea or comment. They won't post until moderated, but I read every one. Please share your blog address in your quote if you have one and I'll be sure to check it out. Please don't send spam or use bad language. Thanks!