Wednesday, September 17, 2014

A Few Updates...

Here is a quick post tonight to give you a few updates on some of the projects I have been working on.

Remember the failed first try at making a chalkboard out of a thrift shop silver tray?  This is the one that all the gnats and mosquitoes stuck to when I spray painted it outside one afternoon.  After picking off the dried bug remains, a top coat of antiquing, and sanding down the trim to expose the tarnished silver underneath, it turned out pretty good.  The lamp is repurposed too, and painted with my trusty Rust-oleum Hammered Copper.




On Monday I picked up a pack of fine line chalks and a pen type holder from Michaels.  I went looking for a "chalk marker" to write on my DIY chalkboards, but they were out.  I hoped these would work OK instead, and I am happy to report that they do.  Still want to get a chalk marker as they have a wider tip and would be good for big writing, maybe I can order one online.  I so love online shopping on Tangier!  It saves a lot of time and money, and the packages get delivered right to the post office, or better yet my door!

Here I am sprucing up some of my thrift store finds from Monday.


 

So here's a peek at my console table with the finished shelf sitter, the black (thrift store) crock, the picture with the mat and frame I spray painted, and another chalkboard tray all dressed up for fall.




In snacking news the candy corn is all gone (and I'm hoping since I have satisfied that craving it won't be back) and the key lime white chocolate chip cookies are almost done for.  I would also like to report I have become strangely addicted to those Sonic slushies with the Nerds mixed in.  I had another one on Monday (working my way through the flavors - tried the strawberry with nerds this time, it was good!)and I also saw they have brought back their deep fried cheesecake bites. Thank goodness Sonic is so far away 'cause I know I'd be there every day!  N. too, he is addicted to their chili cheese tots and caramel peanut butter shakes (but not together - EWWW).

Speaking of candy corn, I am going to leave you with a link to a page with a collection of recipes that use it as an ingredient.  I had seen a recipe before for homemade Butterfinger Bars that called for it, too.  Who knew you could cook with candy corn?  Who knew there were people who could make it last long enough to cook with it?  LOL

and here is the original candy bar type one I saw on allrecipes.com:

Homemade Butterfingers Link

and if you like recipes with odd ingredients, a facebook friend shared this today and said they were excellent:

~~ 7 UP BISCUITS ~~
INGREDIENTS:
4 cups Bisquick
1 cup sour cream
1 cup 7-up
1/2 cup melted butter
DIRECTIONS:
Mix Bisquick, sour cream and 7 up. Dough will be very soft - don't worry. Knead and fold dough until coated with your baking mix. Pat dough out and cut biscuits using a round biscuit / cookie cutter. Melt butter in bottom of cookie sheet pan or 9x13 casserole dish. Place biscuits on top of melted butter and bake @ 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share an idea or comment. They won't post until moderated, but I read every one. Please share your blog address in your quote if you have one and I'll be sure to check it out. Please don't send spam or use bad language. Thanks!