Friday, September 19, 2014

Deep In Amish Country


I'd like to take some time to share with you again a place that I love to visit and take pictures.  And, like last time it may be a place you are not familiar with.  In my last vacation post I shared with you Scott's Run and the waterfall there, which is just outside Washington DC.  Today I'd like to share with you Atglen, Quarryville, and last but not least Paradise, which are located just outside Lancaster, PA  (and near Philadelphia). These tiny towns are located in "Amish Country" but are off the beaten tourist path. 



Let me say at times I am not a fan of our GPS.  My husband drives by it exclusively, but I don't like to do that - and prefer to navigate by landmarks and maps the old fashioned way.  R. is sometimes amazed when we are on vacation and I can tell him when we are getting back close to the hotel after an excursion or how to go back to a place we saw another day.  I look around me when I drive.  I try to remember which directions we turned, what street names or buildings we passed, etc.  He on the other hand depends on the GPS and follows "her" directions.  I do like the GPS in Amish Country though.  I like to drive out deep into the countryside, knowing I can use the little box to find my way back to our home base.

We have stayed in a couple of different places near Lancaster.  Our favorite, ever, was an "Amish farm stay" called Jonde Lane Farm, where you got to stay bed and breakfast style on a working farm. Sadly, they are closed now, as the couple who ran it have retired.  Another great place, which I would recommend highly, is the Fulton Steamboat Inn.  It is just outside Lancaster and closer to the rural areas (for exploring) and also the outlet stores ( ! ). More about them in another post.  And to answer your question, yes it is shaped like a steamboat.  Check it out at www.fultonsteamboatinn.com.




Lancaster is a great place to vacation, with lots to do, but in this post I want to focus on viewing the countryside, and seeing the different way of life of the Amish people.  Fall is a wonderful time to visit, as there is a lot of activity around harvest time and the landscape is just gorgeous.  The rolling hills, huge farms, peaceful streams and covered bridges make wonderful photography subjects.  I like to get in the car and follow the back roads and take in the sites.  Here are a few pictures from a recent visit.  These were primarily taken in the areas named above, I can't tell you exactly where, we were just out exploring.  Several of them N. took, as he sometimes grabs shots while I drive.


Life at a slower pace
A beautiful farm, with a covered bridge near its entrance.
Harvest Time.  There were lots of farmers out in their fields when we visited.  It was very interesting to watch.


You may not be able to tell it, but that is a small (well smallish) kid handling that team and wagon!

An Amish schoolhouse.  Kids were playing some type of tag in the courtyard.
Boys on their way from school.  I try not to take their faces, but one turned toward me at the last second.  Generally, the Amish do not take photos or believe in having their image captured.  He was not happy with me.  I imagine their privacy gets invaded quite a lot.  I do try to take pictures without bothering them, but I am sure it gets old...
It;s Laundry Day...and I am feeling thankful for my washer and dryer.  It does make for a neat picture though.  This lot is small compared to some of the laundry we saw out to dry.

This is tobacco drying.  We were told that while they can't use the tractor for harvesting they can use the motor on it, if rigged to run on propane, to power some tools or other items when necessary.

We followed this buggy leaving a shopping center.  It was interesting to see rows of buggies tied up in the parking lot along with the cars.

Pretty covered bridge

And while you are out in the countryside, be sure to stop to any farm stands you see in people's yards. We have been able to get some delicious treats that way!  There is one farm stand in particular (Mrs. Lapp's) that I always try to find.  Her preserves, whoppie pies, and wonderful molasses cookies are always a highlight of our trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share an idea or comment. They won't post until moderated, but I read every one. Please share your blog address in your quote if you have one and I'll be sure to check it out. Please don't send spam or use bad language. Thanks!